About the Expert
Bill Aston’s past experiences include more than 40 years in the Oil and Gas and chemical industry as a quality professional. Since 2004, he has been the Managing Director of Aston Technical Consulting Services (ATCS), located at 800 Rockmead Rd., Suite 170, Kingwood Texas, 77339. ATCS’s core business is the development and implementation of quality management systems as well as providers of internal QMS and supplier quality audit services. Since 1977, Bill has conducted numerous supplier quality and major capital project audits throughout the USA, Canada, South America and Saudi Arabia.
Areas of Expertise
Bill’s primary areas of expertise include quality management system development, one on one and classroom employee training, preparation of technical specifications, welding inspection, nondestructive testing, paints and critical coatings, structural steel fabrications, API storage tanks, pressure vessel fabrication, process and power piping systems, utility boilers, pumps, cross country pipelines, in plant buried pipelines, wellhead equipment, Oil Country Tubular Goods (OCTGs), plant operations inspections, Major Capital Projects quality coordination, supplier quality and internal audits.
• Diamond Shamrock, Fairport, OH
• Diamond Shamrock, Pasadena TX
• Aramco Services Company, Houston TX
• Exxon Company, USA
• Saudi Aramco, Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia
• Saudi Aramco, Udhailiyah, Saudi Arabia
• Motiva/Shell Oil
• TMK IPSCO
• Ultra Premium Oilfield Services
• Intertek Moody
• Fishing Tool/Crystin Mfg., LTD
• GHX Industries
• Venturetech, LP
• Tube Mac Industries
• Pemco Equipment, Inc.
• Invesco, Inc.
• RABQSA, QMS Lead Auditor, #104591
• ASQ Certified Quality Auditor, # 33928
Previous NDE Certifications:
• AWS Certified Welding Inspector
• Radiographic Film Interpreter, Level II
• Liquid Penetrant Testing, Level II
• Magnetic Particle Testing Level II
• ASQ, Energy & Environmental Division, Council Member
• ASQ, EED, Oil and Gas Committee, Chairman
• ASQ, Ask the Expert, Subject Matter Expert
• American Petroleum Institute (API), Quality Subcommittee 18
• US TAG to ISO TC176 (Past Member)
• ISO TC 176 SC1/SC2 Joint Task Group on Quality Management Principles (Past Member)
• Lakeland Community College
• Metals Engineering Institute
Blog: Q-Blog at www.astontechconsult.com/blog
Why do you think standards are important?
The importance of industry standards such as ISO 9001, ISO TS29001, APIQ1, ISO 14001 and ISO 17025 can’t be overstated. They provide the basis for establishing effective management systems, based upon specific information obtained from past practices or proven (validated) experiences. Industry standards facilitate the establishment of work processes that are structured to meet defined industry and the customer requirements.
Why did you choose to pursue a standards-related profession and get involved in Technical Advisory Group Membership
After working in the oil and gas and chemical industry for more than 40 years, I’ve seen a lot of different types of construction, manufacturing and operations processes. My purpose is to share my past experiences with other quality professionals to help support their needs, and by assisting them, continue my growth as a quality professional.
What’s your best advice to someone new to standards?
Find an experienced quality professional willing to share his/her experiences as a mentor. Classroom training is very important, but so is obtaining actual hands-on, in the field experience, supported by an experienced professional.
What other interests or hobbies do you have?
Fishing, golf and family.