2. Does a record need to be in each individual’s file, or can there be a spreadsheet, cross reference-type matrix?
3. How long do they need to be retained?
4. Are there different requirements for environmental and safety type training records?
A: Thank you for contacting the ASQ Ask the Experts Program. Responses to your specific inquiries follow:
1.You may retain records in any format or media you desire. You do not need both hardcopy and electronic.
2. You may use a spreadsheet matrix.
3. Retention times are your determination. Consult with the corporate attorney as to any requirements from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to protect yourself if there is a lawsuit (assuming your organization is located in the United States).
4. Check with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regarding requirements for these records. These are outside the scope of ISO 9001.
Voting member of the U.S. TAG to ISO/TC 176 – Quality Management and Quality Assurance
For more on this topic, please visit ASQ’s website.